Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Breaking the radio silence...

Sorry for the long radio silence but this pregnant momma has been sick.  Here is a picture of CGR to make up for the time I was silent. :)

It all started around the 6th of September, shortly after my last post, when my tonsils decided they would let me know that I wasn't getting enough rest.  Yes, I still have my tonsils and yes they probably should have been removed A LONG time ago but now that I'm older, it would be major surgery with a long recovery that I doubt is in my best interest.  They haven't really given me any real trouble in the last couple years.  I was honestly really surprised that those first many months of Carmen's life when she was waking up multiple times a night and I wasn't sleeping that they didn't let me know they were still with me.  But by some miracle, they kept themselves healthy and I was able to get through that time.

There was a time during college, that I remember getting tonsilitis at the end of every semester!  I would be so stressed during finals that when they were finally done and I started relaxing, my tonsils would swell and I would be miserable.

The worst I ever had it was my 21st birthday.  I will not lie and say that I didn't drink before I was 21 because I grew up in Central America, where you were able to drink at a younger age.  I won't say I'm proud that I used to be a drinker but I am proud that I am no longer one.  I will have a glass of wine or beer here and there but never more than one or 2 and never to the point I get tipsy.  Those days are over for me....long over.

Anyway, I digress...So my 21st birthday, my friend Ryan and I, right after finals, flew down to San Diego to spend some time with my sister and her husband.  Ryan was only there for a couple days and I stayed for around 2 weeks.  I knew my tonsils had started hurting that weekend so I had avoided all alcohol and had been trying to take it easy.  On the night of my 21st birthday, I had to at least have ONE margarita at the restaurant we went to celebrate my birthday.  I enjoyed the margarita BUT by the time we got home my tonsils were SO swollen that they were touching!  I had a hard time swallowing and was unable to really even drink water.  I spent the next couple days of my supposed vacation feeling like I was going to die.  Eventually, after some persuading, since my sister is usually one for letting your body take care of itself, they took me to the walk in clinic where I was put on pain meds and antibiotics.  I eventually started feeling better and was able to enjoy the last part of the trip before heading back to San Fran for summer school.  I will never forget that fateful margarita that I though was SO important.  And now if my tonsils even start feeling funny, I stay FAR away from any and all alcohol until they feel 100%.

Ok let's get back to the present.  After my tonsils had been hurting for a couple days, I went to see my doctor who told me that I didn't have strep, which is what my primary care and OB were worried about and that they would like my body to just work itself out.  I tried getting as much rest as possible but when your throat hurts and you can't take any real meds but tylenol it makes sleeping a little difficult.  By Friday of last week, they started feeling better so I just figured that would be great but then the head cold kicked in.  So, that is what I have been dealing with since.  Today is the first day I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I won't rehash my frustrations with my doctor the last 2 days but if your friends with me on FB then I'm sorry for the ranting.

When talking about being sick on FB and Ravelry, many other moms mentioned how it just takes so long for your body to get rid of colds and such when you are pregnant.  One lady said she was sick for 3 months of her pregnancy!! WOW...so glad that I'm finally on the mend after almost 2 weeks.

Carmen has also not been feeling 100%.  She had double ear infection and some how got thrush!  So she's been no meds for those.  It finally looks like she is feeling herself again, which has helped this momma a LOT!  Oh speaking of which, at some point this weekend, I went from being mama to mommy!  I love both but it's so silly how she says mommy and says it with such intention. :) Love her silly face!! Here she is at the pet store...she loves looking at all the animals.
I know I have promised pregnancy updates and I have a craft to share and some knitting, which I haven't really done much of lately but I have a WIP that might be an FO tonight! YAY!  So, as soon as I can get my legs under me and not want to crawl in bed shortly after putting Carmen to sleep...I will get back to posted regularly.  I'm so excited to share some things I have in the works!

Hope you are all well and that the fall weather is blessing you where you live.  I always love when the weather changes to something other than melting.

Happy Day!

2 comments:

  1. A) I didn't know you were preggo; congrats!!
    B) I had my tonsils out two+ years ago at 26. As I got older, any time I got run down, I'd get sick and/or my tonsils would flare up SO bad. It took me a good ten days to recover and some days were rough but it was the best thing I ever did! I rarely get sore throats now and I couldn't be happier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better. Carmen is growing up so fast!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I appreciate them all!