Thursday, November 10, 2011

BLTelicious!!!

Hi, my name is Gnat aka Barknknit and I, I am ADDICTED to pinterest.com!  It's an addiction to all the pretty pictures of crafts and especially of FOOD!!  This addiction has prompted my 2012 goal.  I am still working on a 2012 theme ala Jasmin from the Knitmore Girls Podcast but for now I have a goal.  My goal is to make one new recipe a week for the year.  This can be any type of recipe such as a main dish, dessert, or side.  I have begun preparing by creating a board with ideas for my weekly new recipe to try.  I need to come up with a catchy name for my goal aka project but it hasn't come to me yet...so if you have suggestions or even if you want to join in just leave me a comment and let me know.

While looking at all the pictures of food and wanting to take a nice lick of my screen last week, I started to develop a craving for some bacon!  Now bacon is a breakfast food which goes great with pancakes, waffles, omelets, and eggs cooked in any way...and yet all those contain eggs which I am still not able to eat.  While a plate of bacon sounds lovely, a meal it does not make.  After dreaming of bacon, the idea came to me that we should just have BLTs.  I'm not sure I have ever in my life made one and only had them maybe twice.  Special K was all over this idea so we decided that we would have them tonight.   Of course there would be a suggestion on pinterest for how to make the bacon for a BLT!  I saw this pin and thought genius!  I posted it on Facebook and got another suggestion of using avocado instead of mayo and I was sold!

After work, I stopped by Publix to get the supplies we were missing.  CGR and I got home, took care of the pups, and then this mama got to cooking!  I put the fries into the oven...yes...we had a healthy meal tonight...and then mashed up half the avocado and added salt and pepper to it.  I washed and cut up the lettuce and tomato then wove the bacon and put it in the oven!  When the bacon was almost done, I toasted my bread, spread the avocado paste onto it and layered some tomato and lettuce!  Lastly came the delicious BACON!!!
My BLT was complete and looking oh so yummy!!
And let me tell you...it was DELICOUS!!  The bacon was perfect and with the mix of the avocado...well you just can't go wrong with avocado!!  This is definitely something I'm going to have to make again.  And baking the bacon is genius!!
I was thinking that I'll be posting about my new recipes project on this blog but you know I'm not always good at following through with things in the interwebs.  My goal of part of this recipe thing is to blog about it but honestly the goal of actually doing the recipes are more important.  They might not all get blogged when they happen but I really want to try out new recipes so I'm excited!

Between now and the first week of the new year, I plan to post up some of my recipes that are my go to ones.  I'm not a great cook by any stretch of the imagination but I can cook and the things I do cook I find delicious!  I will also post some recipes from my family and ones friends have given me that I've tried.   And just so you know...they won't  all be as vague as this one. hehe!

Happy Cooking, Baking, and Making!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I appreciate them all!