The new term of the Harry Potter Knit/Crochet House Cup Spring started back on May 1st and that as usually got my creative juices flowing!
First it inspired me to start working on more blanket squares for Carmen's Barknknit Raising Quilt. The pattern is the Barn Raising Quilt from Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together by Shelley Mackie and Larissa Brown. I started this quilt Sept 23, 2009, which was quite a few months before Carmen was conceived but I started it with the intention of knitting it for my future baby. It's one of those projects that I knit in between other bigger projects or when I'm just not sure what I want to be knitting. The squares go relatively fast and I'm using just random sock scraps from my stash so it's fun to see the colors take shape. Last month, I turned in 2 squares into classes and if I recall correctly are square number 14 and 15 out of 36. I'm hoping to complete this before we transition her to her toddler bed sometime closer to her 2nd birthday.
Haruni Shawl by Emily Ross using the lovely 50/50 silk/merino blend Juniper Moon Farms Findley yarn. This is the first laceweight shawl that I have ever completed. I have a WIP for a shawl for myself that is still sitting in it's project bag waiting to be frogged and knit into something else but this Haruni is the first one I have finished. I added crystal beads to the bottom chart but you can't really tell in the pictures. I'm hoping to get better pictures but you will have to just deal with these until I am able to get better ones. It came out more beautiful than I imagined and I am so happy with it! It's delicate and drapes beautifully! I wasn't able to complete it in time to turn in for my BROOM but I turned it in first day of Spring term for detention.
|Completed but pre-blocking. Check out the spread at knitting that night!|
|Ignore dirty bathroom but this is the best picture I have of the back! And you can't really see the beads.|
The next project I completed was a shawl for my friend Jessie, who is having surgery today. I cast on this simple shawl using my handspun from MissBabs merino/nylon pencil roving. The colors were perfect for Jessie aka Tinyant and I used Lala's Simple Shawl pattern by Laura Linneman. I didn't follow the pattern exactly but that is perfect as Jessie never follows patterns and when she does she uses them more as guides than patterns. I feel the shawl is just perfect for her! Carmen and swung by on Saturday and gave it to her and she was so pleased with it! I'm so happy she liked it and she even blogged about it! Can't beat a handmade gift being appreciated so much! I will be praying for her today as she goes through her surgery and thinking good thoughts through her recovery period.
|picture borrowed with permission from Tinyant. Please check out more pictures on her blog!|
|3 hexipuffs and blanket square in progress.|
And now onto WIPs! You thought I was almost done right? Not Quite! The first thing I'm working on is my History of Magic OWL this term. I wasn't able to finish my OWL last term so I'm really hoping to complete this one. The OWL is to finish 3 pairs of socks. I have to finish 3 individual socks by the end of this month to be able to get 50% points so I need to focus on them as all I have is almost 1 sock done and the toes of 2 others. :) Here are some progress pictures.
|Bellatrix sock in progress. Had to rip back toe last night and make the foot longer.|
For my BROOM this month, I'm spinning. The goal is to spin the equivalent of 30 mins a day for the duration of the BROOM time with a minimum of 8 oz spun. I started some laceweight with some lovely merino/bamboo/nylon I had in my stash!
|not a lot of progress...need to catch up on this!|
Well, I think that covers pretty much all my crafting right now. I hope you enjoyed this long post and all the updates! I hope to be back soon with more posts!