Monday, June 22, 2009

Frankie's new home.

Hello….sorry I've been silent all weekend. I do have a lot to share with you. First off to explain the title. We have decided to find Frankie a new home. Please don’t be upset with me. This was a VERY hard decision for me and one that I had to make. I felt that we did not have enough to give to Frankie with training him and doing what Frankie needs and I was feeling that Jackjack, Abigail and I were suffering because of it as well as Frankie. There are many things that contributed to this and I just feel I don't want to share them all on here. If you want, please feel free to ask me.

I never felt I was a person to let a dog go that came into my house but I have realized that I am the one in charge of all the training and dog walking and that I just can’t give enough to three dogs especially one that needs a lot from someone right now. He is a great dog and I love him to death…but I just feel it was best if I found him a new home. This decision was made between Thursday and Friday.

The good thing was that we had already been asked for Frankie by several people…so I thought about who I could see him with and I called my knitting friend and asked if she would seriously consider adopting Frankie. She spoke to her Mr. Man and asked if I would bring him over to meet their dog Arwyn, a black lab mix.

So, Friday I took him over and hung out for over an hour and watched Frankie play and play with Arwyn and also watched him learn how to use their doggie door. When I left they said that they would keep him over night and see how it goes and let me know what they decide. I left and I told her he will whine for me but if you distract him he will be ok.

She called me Saturday morning with good news. She said that he did whine but every time he did Arwyn ran over and started playing with him and kept him occupied. She said that sleepy time was interesting because Arwyn really wasn’t sure about sharing the bed with another dog but in the end they all slept in the bed and it went well. She walked the two of them that morning and was able to easily walk them. So, she said that they had decided to keep him and went out and bought him a new crate, doggie bed, and more toys.

She also brought him and Arwyn with them on Saturday to our WWKIP day event and they both did great. Here is a picture of the Fiber Fanatics group setting up our event with Frankie and Arwyn to help us. Frankie's new mommy did all the decorations. She's very crafty!

IMG_8563

It was sad not having him at home because he will always have my heart and be a part of my pack but I think it’s best for him to live with them. The good thing is that I will get to see him when I want and I’ll get updates about him all the time. I think he will be happy with them and I think my marriage will be better off with just the two dogs.

I know that not everyone will understand this decision as I know that I’ve not always understood when others decided this but I have to admit that it was the right choice. He’s going to be loved and taken good care of. My friend is a dog person and I know that she will give him everything he needs.

Well...I hope you understand but feel free to tell me what you feel. I've come to grips with this and I'm doing ok. I feel I was a great foster mom for him but he needed to be where he is now.

Thank you for reading this.

Natalie.

PS..I have tons more pictures of the WWKIP day to share but will post them later today or tomorrow.

21 comments:

  1. A difficult decision to make I'm sure, but it totally sounds like you did the right thing, and you still have visiting privileges too! You shouldn't have to justify the decision, it was yours to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Frankie has a great new home. Sounds like a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am crying for you right now. I know that must have been a heart-wrenching decision. I have never been able to let go of an animal before either(just ask about Gwynneth)...but always trust your heart. I'm glad you found him a loving forever home:) Smile - you will always be in his heart too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it requires more love to let a baby go to a home where you know it can have a better life than you can give it. Frankie's lucky to have known you and even luckier to have the home he has now.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did the right thing for Frankie. After all you do work full time and we can only spread ourselves so far. So glad you will continue to get to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gnat - I don't believe that rehoming a dog is a decision that I am able to pass judgment on. You have to do what is right for you and your family. I'm glad you found a good home for Frankie and that's what really counts. Good for you for doing what's right for Frankie regardless of how hard the decision was. g

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tough as it was, it sounds like you made the best decision for everyone, two-legged and four-legged!

    [[[Hugs]]]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes we want to be selfish, but Love asks that we do what is best for our loved one, not what we think is best for us. Frankie is wanted, loved, and won't have to compete for attention in his new home. I'm glad you will still be able to see him from time to time. Don't worry about being judged by others. You did what is best for everyone, especially Frankie. (Hugs) Monica

    ReplyDelete
  9. What truely would have been selfish is if you kept him and he didn't get the attention that he needs. What you did was put his needs above your own personal wants and did what was good for him. If anyone has a problem with that, then seriously there is something wrong with them. 3 dogs is a lot of work and when it is only one person doing it it can get overwhelming.
    I think of it this way, you were Frankies foster family. Just before my daughter was born I had found a Yorkie on the side of the road. I tried to find his owners but we never could. So I ended up keeping him. I had him for two years and he had lots of issues that I just couldn't control and when M came along it really frighened me that his aggression would be taken out on her. So after much thought and a lot of tears I called up the local Yorkie rescue and surrendered him to them. It was one of the best descions I ever did. His foster mother ended up falling in love wit hhim and she kept him. I every once in a while get an email with updated pictures of him. She had the money and the time to figure out that his aggression was allergy related. The poor dog was suffering! I was heartsick, but seeing those pictures of him shows me that I did the right thing.

    And the nice thing is that you still get to see Frankie and so you know first hand that he is being taken care of.

    I think you did a wonderful thing and you should be proud of yourself that you thought of Frankies needs and the needs of the rest of your pack. They can still meet up for doggie dates and have a play.
    But I am sorry that it had to happen anways, it's still a hard decsion to make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You found Frankie a great home where he will be loved --- there is NOTHING wrong with that.

    Wouldn't you rather him be where he fits in rather than grudgingly take care of him? You done GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a perfect fit for Frankie... and I'm glad you are close to the person he went to so you'll get to hear about him a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just seeing your heart and how you care about these animals, I'd never question you making a decision like this. Don't let any one tell you otherwise either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know that was hard on you, you did a wonderful thing taking him into your home... and then finding the right family for him. :)

    You did a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It can't be very easy for you but you know in your heart what is right, and I know you'll find him the most perfect home. No judgement held here, I'm sure you've made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you made a tough but very wise decision. And he'll still be part of your extended family. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it takes a lot of courage to admit when something is not working out like it should and make the changes necessary. How fortunate that Frankie had so many people willing to take him in.

    You made the right decision, and I support you 100%.

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Arwyn sounds like a good friend for Frankie and the arrangement work best for you too. I teared up reading you gave him up - that had to be so hard. My best to you and to Frankie in his new home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a hard decision you had to make but don't feel bad about what others might think. Frankies gone to a good home, will be very loved and whats totally awesome you'll still get to see him and get updates. Most times when you find dogs homes you never get to have that you just have to hope for the best. So wonderful he fit right in with their family! Don't beat yourself up either....we're all here for you too when you need to talk! Big hugs and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure you made the right decision... like so many things in life sometimes those are the hardest. It's sounds like Frankie's new family will be really great with him and be able to give him the attention he needs. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that your decision for Frankie was out of love and well thought out, sometimes things just dont work right and we have to make hard decisions. I dont think you should feel bad or sad, and you dont have to explain yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was a tough decision but you really tried and it sounds like you got a great home for him. (Hugs!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I appreciate them all!