Thursday, January 12, 2012

NRaWin2012: Spinach, Mushroom, Onion, Red Bell Pepper Quiche

Guest post today is from Special K!  This week he did all the prep work and cooking.  Hope you enjoy his post!
------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, this is Natalie's husband Kenny. The new recipe I tried this week was mozzarella quiche with red bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, and onions. I've never made quiche before, and it turned out to be easier than I thought. I started by baking a 9-inch Pillsbury pie crust in a glass Pyrex pie dish at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.  While the crust was baking, I finely chopped the onions and diced up the peppers and mushrooms for sauteing in a large pan with about a tablespoon of butter and took the spinach out of the freezer to thaw. After that, I mixed about 12 ounces of  whole milk with three large cage-free eggs and stirred in about 2 ounces (by weight) of finely shredded mozzarella cheese. After the vegetables were softened a bit and the onions were semi-translucent, I removed them from heat and set aside. The crust was done around the same time, so I took it out of the oven and let it cool so that it wouldn't cook the eggs when I poured in the mixture.

While my crust and I were coolin' out, I added about five ounces (by weight) of the thawed spinach to the cooled veggie mixture. The crust and I were done relaxing, so I added a little of the egg mixture into the crust, followed by some veggie mix and stirred to combine so the veggies wouldn't be centralized in the middle of the dish. I repeated this process until the egg mix was about half to a quarter inch below the top of the crust. Try not to fill too much for fear that the eggs will expand enough to spill over the top of the crust. Now as I'm typing these last few sentences, the timer has gone off and I will go check the quiche by inserting a knife into the center of the dish to make sure there is no uncooked egg mixture that will pour out of the hole made by the knife. If you're clean, then it is done (as is mine). Now you go try it with whatever filling you desire, although, the eggs and milk will pretty much be the same. Oh, and by the way, bake at around 350 for 45 minutes. Natalie will post a review of how it turned out, I'm sure. Enjoy.  
-------------------------------------------------------------

The quiche was amazing!  I love quiche and he did a great job.  He's already talking about doing home-made crust next time and using a little less veggies and in a different pan.  I look forward to more quiche in our future!

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I appreciate them all!