Thursday, August 2, 2012

A series of thoughts: It's all starting to get real!

Life is about to get really interesting for the next couple months!  As I have been hinting, I have a big, well for us anyway, announcement! 

We are moving!

We are moving a grand total of 3 blocks from where we live now! 

We will be moving out of the rental house we have lived in for 3 and a half years.  The house that we moved into the week after our wedding and the one we brought Carmen home to.   I am sad to be leaving this house with so many memories of such a huge time in our lives; but I am oh so happy to be leaving what I like to refer to as the land of yellow!  (our landlord wouldn't let us paint and every surface it seems in the house is painted a light shade of yellow)  This has been a good house but it is time to move on!

My sister Fleas found out a couple weeks ago that the house across from her was going to be sold.  We were hesitant at first but once we went inside, we decided it was a great house for us.  It has a ton of potential and it's in a great neighborhood...the one we are already live in!  I never thought my husband would consider living so close to my sister.  To be honest, I never thought he would move into their neighborhood and we did that 3 and a half years go.  I think we both think this house is worth it though. 

Since we had not been planning to even start looking to buy a house until closer to the end of the year, we aren't really ready.  The seller has been great and worked out a deal where we can rent for 6 months and then buy!  Papers have all been negotiated over and signed and our closing date is set for the end of Feb!  We still have to get through things like appraisals, which blew up our last house deal over 2 years ago, but we have faith this one will work out for the best no matter what happens.  As I have been focusing a lot on lately, God has a bigger and better plan that we could ever dream.  We just have to have faith in his plan and his timing.

Our moving date hasn't quite been set yet because they are sanding and refinishing the hardwood floors before we move in.  The goal is to be moving the last weekend in Aug and starting to get settled in over Labor Day weekend.  There are a lot of things that are going to be happening before and after we close on this house.  There are things that need to be renovated and painted and oh so much to do.  I can't wait to own a place that we can really make our home.  If we want to paint, then we can paint.  If we don't like the way something is, we can change it.  Such a novel idea for long time renters.

Cannot wait to have actual grass...green grass in the backyard!  No more sandpit for a backyard for our pups to drag into the house! They might still drag in dirt and such but nothing can be as bad as what this sandpit does for them.
I know that 3 and a half years is really a blink of an eye but the thought of packing up 3 and half years of living in this house makes my palms sweat!  I have begun the purging that I know is needed.  With my new goal of living in a house where everything has a place and a purpose, a lot of things I have held on to for so long are finding it's way into the garage sale/donation/trash piles.   My book stash took a serious hit last night and I think I've finally convinced myself that my animation books need to go too!  So going to make some more decisions which are going to be hard tonight about that.  I am going to keep ALL my knitting books and mags and maybe one or two of my absolute favorite animation books.  I won't be getting rid of any of my (now Carmen's) children's book collection.  I can't wait to read Harry Potter with her!


I will try to take pictures of the purging and packing and moving process but can't promise anything.  I have a feel life is going to be SUPER busy for the month of August but I'm so excited about it all!  I hope to be able to post as much as I have been but please forgive me if I miss a couple extra days here and there this month.  I promise I'll be back as always!

Thanks for reading!

Happy Moving for the Barknknit family!!

Please share any of your moving tips and tricks with me! 

5 comments:

  1. Two words: Hire movers.
    Even if you're only moving three blocks. It's the second smartest thing I've ever done in my life and was worth every single penny. I left for work from the old house, came home from work to the new house, and ALL of my stuff was there! It was some kind of amazing magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very happy for you!! Congrats!! Can't wait to hear you can move in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!! SO exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you. It doesn't matter if you are moving 300 miles or three blocks, though, it all has to be packed and moved. Still a very big job! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so exciting and I'm so happy for you and your family! Score on the owners refinishing the floors. I'm in the process of doing it in my new knitting room and the rest of the house is starting to look like an episode of hoarders! I sometimes think if we ever out grow our home or in a position to "upgrade," I'm going to have a hard time leaving our first home too. So many memories here. The good thing about those...you can take them with you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I appreciate them all!