Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Spinning...

I hope everyone had a safe and happy Valentine's day weekend. I had a great weekend! Well, since last post, I have actually spun up 2 singles and plyed them together to make my first yarn! Ok..getting ahead of myself for the pictures...so we'll start with Saturday night, Special K and I watched a movie. It was My Best Friend's Girl and it had it's moments but overall not that great. We still had my sister's dogs...and as you can tell they make themselves right at home at my house too. :)
I set up my wheel in front of the tv and spun.
So, here's a picture of one of the singles on the wheel.
After finishing both singles...which to figure out how much I'd use for the singles I just split the 4oz. Each single took up about 2oz of fiber. I had seen online that someone had used a shoe box for a lazy kate so I searched the house and found a shoe box and grabbed two of my long aluminum knitting needles. And tada...a makeshift lazy kate. This will definitely work for now.
And while watching Secret Life of Bees, I plied them...here is my 2 ply BFL yarn! It's about 95 yards. I think it looks great! What do you think of my first yarn spun on the new wheel?

It's already been soaked in wool wash and is now hanging to dry. I'm thinking of making my sister Felicia a hat out of this because the colorway is Felicia. The yarn is from yummyyarn.etsy.com. I'm a big fan of her colorways and will admit this is 1 of 3 of the ones I have.

Well...I think I have a LOT to learn but I really enjoyed making my first yarn on my wheel. I didn't really stick to a single way of drafting for this yarn as I was really just getting to know the wheel and getting comfortable with it. I need to pick one and go with it next time. I'm planning to do some research on what is the best drafting method for different fiber preparation. I know I've seen some stuff on it.

Ok...I'm off to bed. I was up at 7am this morning because a doggie scratched at my bed to wake me. I decided to just get up and not wake up Special K that early two weekend days in a row. I ended up using this early morning time to clean the house before my friends came over to knit and hang out. It was fun to have them over and Lucky and Roxy were well-behaved. :) Abby was too much and pretty much made sure everyone had plenty of her hair before they left and pet her until she was done! :)

Well...Happy Spinning, Knitting, and Dog lovin!!!

I only wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow but I'm glad I have a job to go to. Sweet dreams.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your first yarn looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Gnat! Was thinking of you all weekend with your new toy, so much fun!

    Oh, and I love Yummy Yarn too, in fact, this afternoon I was spinning some Corriedale I bought from her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it turned out gorgeous! :) I think your shoe box worked out perfectly well - but then again, I still use a mini M&M container to wind my yarn by hand... he he he

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fabulous yarn. I think your sister would love having a hat made from your first wheel spun yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful....and fun....I can feel the pull to try this sometime!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job on your first wheel spun yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The yarn looks great! I cant wait to see what you make out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great. I'm so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea congratulations! The yarn is very pretty and looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool, you have a Pioneer! and you love dogs. my kind of people!

    Majacrafts ROCK!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I appreciate them all!